Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lantern

I often go to what my friends and I have affectionately nicknamed "Lantern" at East Coast Road. It's a 24-hour (it only recently started operating round the clock) coffeeshop with a larger-than-most smoking section. The food's pretty good and we're regular patrons because it's convenient for the gang who all live around the area. 

 

A particular favourite of mine - the 'point point rice' aka Economy Rice stall. (Some of you may know it as Chai Png.) Unlike many such stalls in other hawker centres and coffeeshops, this one boasts a large variety of dishes, generous servings and tasty cooking at a very affordable price.

 

You can see the stall on the right hand side of the picture above. Not only do they cater to the lunch and dinner crowd, but also to those in the mood for a Teochew Porridge style supper. My meal of  rice with sweet & sour pork, chicken with dried chilli and curry veggies came up to S$3.00. 


So if you're ever in the area, give it a go (you'll find a map at the bottom of this post). There's also the famous Jalan Tua Kong Mee Pok (which I must admit isn't something I enjoy), an Indian-Muslim stall in the back that makes a kick-ass Roti John (below) and a roast meat stall which serves up a succulent roast duck / roast pork / char siew combo.


But the main reason I keep going back there? Because they have what many coffeeshops don't : Gui Hua Green Tea. My all-time favourite. Ah... simple pleasures.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment