Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I Hear Thunder


As far back as I can remember I had always been in some choir or other. In every school I've attended I was in the choir. In church, I had joined a choir and went on to become their organist. This went on for many years. At some point I found myself entangled with up to 4 different church choirs, either singing or playing for Mass. I practically lived in church every weekend. 

After I decided to throw in the towel and take a break from the internal politics of organised groups a friend rang me to ask if I could gather a couple of folk to sing at a wedding. It was to be in another Catholic church and the bridal couple needed a small choir and organist. Shalom was born. While we were the most slack choir I had ever been a part of (not least because I was the head honcho and I myself was a slacker) I must say it was also the best sounding choir I've sung in. Could be because its members were all handpicked. They had to be strong voices with half a clue about harmonising on the go because we couldn't afford to have a massive 30-strong choir if we were to be making our way around the local Catholic church circuit. Plus most of the time the weddings and funerals we sang at were at odd no-other-regular-choir-could-make-it timings. Sadly, people moved away, careers became more demanding and family commitments began to creep up on us. Shalom was no more. 

Often I think about reviving it. Gather a bunch of good singers, get together once a year to go sing Christmas Carols. And every year it ends up not happening. Still, I keep my fingers crossed and continue to hope that one day we'll sing together again. 

I bring this up today because despite the many choirs I've been a part of, the different roles I've had in them, from singer to conductor, accompanist to administrator, I've never ever been a part of a choir as good as this one - and I'm so so jealous. Enjoy this acapella rendition of Toto's Africa. And look out for the thunder! 

No comments:

Post a Comment