Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ashes to Ashes

And so the end of the 7th month has come upon us.

While living in a multi-racial, multi-religious society means that we have to practise acceptance (or tolerance) of all the seemingly strange rituals that go on around us, it also means that we have to deal with air pollution, noise pollution and who knows what else.

I went to bed with the smell of burnt Hell-Paper in my nostrils, on my clothes, everywhere. The rooms were infused with that scent that we recognise as the "chit-guek" smell.

All I can say is, while I acknowledge it is a necessary part of some people's religious calendar, and while I understand that it's not nice to glare at them when they burn piles of paper in front of your car, TGIOver.

Today I can leave my windows wide open again. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment