Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Finally, She Did Something Right

The latest article (and I hope the last one) on Ris Low. The people at ERM (the organisers) say they've spoken to her and her parents and have agreed to accept her resignation.

This means they would have allowed her to keep the title if she hadn't come forward and decided to resign yes? Sheesh. Or were they the ones asking her to resign? I'm not clear.

"On her command of English language, which has been criticised by the public, the organiser said: 'We felt that person who made fun of her on YouTube was malicious and did not do her justice. The video clip was presented in a way to ridicule her."

Ok this is just way retarded. .How could the video clip have been presented in a way to ridicule her? It's not like there were cuts or you could see where the clip might have been edited. The stuff she said at that RazorTV interview was all her! Now ERM says "'So perhaps her spoken English could also be an effect from her Bipolar disorder."

Er, right.

This girl has just rubbed too many Singaporeans the wrong way and I'm a little sorry for her. But seriously, why, oh, why did she not just say all this in the first place BEFORE even taking part in the competition? A lot of problems could have been avoided if she had first and foremost pre-empted everything and made it public information.

I think we're less likely to gasp in shock and horror if we heard all this beforehand.  You know, along the lines of : One of the contestants, who is on probation for 5 counts of credit card fraud, had this to say about being in the pageant, "I'm really sorry about the stuff I did in my youth. I have bipolar disorder and sometimes don't think very clearly, but I do know that now it is under control and I'm doing my best to turn my life around. I'm hoping this pageant will help me to do that."

Ta-dah! Immediately she would have been given all sorts of support and encouragement... knowing Singaporeans...*mutter mutter*.

Anyway, here's why many just can't seem to be more sympathetic of this person. Read the side box of this article and you'll see that she's just super immature and totally irresponsible. Add to that she finally admitted that she told the organisers about the credit card fraud charges only last week, when previously she had said that she told them beforehand but they collaborated with her to keep mum about it. Which is it missy?

For those of you too lazy to right-click on the link - the side box says this:

WHY SHE DIDN'T TELL ORGANISERS:  'They ask then I tell lah, because actually I don't find the point of telling... It's still a record, but it's not as though it's that big... I was given a second chance to change.'

Hello...? Credit card fraud?? Not a big deal???

WHY SHE DIDN'T DECLARE IT: 'I didn't really go and check because I've joined other pageants before and they didn't really check.'

I don't understand this "really" check thing. Means they "bluff-ly" check huh? What is going on with the youth of our country today?

Dear Ms Low - please, PLEASE, wake up, sort out your life, and stop pretending that everything will go away or work out in the end just cos you hope so. Stuff has a way of poking its way out from under concealment. Especially Nasty stuff. Nothing ever remains hidden. NOTHING. Everything comes out sooner or later!

And finally, FINALLY, one MP had the courage to say something :

Member of Parliament Lee Bee Wah (Ang Mo Kio GRC) told the Chinese evening daily Shin Min on Saturday that Miss Low should not represent Singapore internationally. She said: 'Using another person's credit card is a very serious offence. Honesty and integrity are very important.'

Hear hear! That's the problem. Integrity. Missing In Action. 


7 comments:

  1. A good read, I like your style, very conversational. I just heard about this this morning - its a shame.. Young people need good role model. Ris Low is not that person.. at least not right now. Maybe she can show grace and humility enough to rise above this in time and make us all proud. At least thats what I'm hoping, I'm being the optimist today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words. I sometimes get told off for writing the way I speak. But it's the way I think so that's how it tumbles out. Anyway, I don't suppose there are hard and fast rules cos this IS a blog after all. And as for being optimistic - you surely are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owning up after the fact is just attempting to put out the fire. If none of this came up she would be happy to keep quiet.
    That is wrong. no gray area. simply wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your style that makes your blog distinctive. I'm not alone in enjoying this one either :)

    I do find the MP's talk on integrity deliciously hypocritical though :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growly Bear - I also say

    Callan - Thanks for the kind words. Until recently I hadn't realised I HAD a style. Distinctive or otherwise. I'm glad I do. And oh the irony of the MP talking about integrity. That's why i said - Missing In Action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahs. I think Lee Bee Wah is being a hypocrite. Remember the Table Tennis saga?.

    Ok. Back to Ris Low. I think we all agree on one thing. Honesty is the best policy. Why didn't she came clean in the first place?. To the end, she refused to admit that the whole thing was her fault. She blamed everyone else.

    I just find it a pity that a woman like her can even win this competition. Does it mean that the rest of the contestants were worse than her? Were their command of the English language as bad as her?.

    I don't know about you, but when that video came out, the organisers should have stripped her crown alrdy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Tauhuayboy - I agree with you entirely. I reserve comment about politicians in singapore tho. Generally that's Callan's area of expertise :) See "trapper's swamp" on my list of blogs to watch.

    However, again I say, as for the English proficiency, we don't expect everyone to be good at it, but I really think that her shallowness speaks for itself.

    Bad english, if being used, to convey a heartfelt message or if she seemed sincere or sounded like she had half a brain, would have been forgivable. The fact that her statements on the RazorTV video showed just how juvenile her thinking is, is the bigger problem.

    I swear, this pageant is jinxed.

    ReplyDelete