Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fish and Clam Pie

When I was in Perth on holiday, I caught this on a cooking show and decided it looked easy enough for me to try it when I got back home.



First, peel and boil up some potatoes. When ready, these will be sliced and put over the top in a fish-scale-like pattern. If you look closely you can almost see the overlapping slices of potato in my picture. I apologise if it's not very clear. I didn't realise when I took that photo that it'd be for anything other than just personal amusement.

Next, the seafood. Saute some chopped garlic in a saucepan with butter. Adding a little fish stock, proceed to throw in flat steaks of fish and clams till they're cooked. (At this point let me mention that there's no limit to what other seafood you could throw into this mix. Squid rings, shrimp, lobster tails.) Remove and place at the bottom of your baking dish.

Now, the cream sauce.
Remember the saucepan you just abandoned? Add the remainder of your stock to whatever's already it in, then add some milk and cream to thicken. (In a pinch you can add corn flour to get a nice thick consistency.) At this point I usually add in some pepper and other herbs for additional flavour. It's entirely up to you.

Pour the sauce over the seafood.
Place the potato slices over to make up the top layer.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese (I like cheddar).
Pop into the oven to bake just until the cheese melts.

(Instead of using fish stock you might prefer chicken or vegetable stock.)

ENJOY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment