Monday, October 26, 2009

Yellow Walls n other Stories

A few things happened over the weekend. Well, a lot really. But here are some highlights.

Coming back from church on Saturday evening I had the opportunity to sit at one of those sideways-facing seats at the back of the bus. In front of me were 4 teens. 2 couples. They all had fringes ending right on their eyelids, cut on the diagonal, so that it began slightly above the left eye then slanted to just below the eyelashes on the right eye. I kept blinking. I mean, how do you see anything with all that hair obscuring your vision?

The blokes, in addition to the slanted fringe, sported a zig-zag style. Long in front of the ears, then cut upwards as it went behind the ear, only to fall straight down to the collar. I can't explain it any other way. But you HAD to see it. They looked like Anime characters. Seriously. And they were silent the whole 20 minutes it took me to get home. Sullen-faced and jap-inspired youth. Is this the future of my country?

At midnight I needed a drink. Off we went for Coca-Cola, MySO and I. En route he mentioned how every time he looked across the carpark he thought there was a wake going on - no thanks to the  spattering of yellow-painted  walls at some void decks. They weren't ALL yellow you see, oh no. Some were white, then every 5 pillars or so you'd get 2 or 3 yellow ones. Then they went back to being white for another 5 or 6 pillars. You get the idea.

We eventually got closer and he started giggling. "What's so funny?" I nudged him in the rib. "Look - it IS a wake!" That's when I got the giggles. The one time he chooses to mention how the yellow walls remind him of a wake, there actually IS one. What are the chances...

Anyhoo, remember the coke? Well, it was for the whiskey. Famous Grouse. Cheap and Good. I love that stuff. We polished off half a bottle chatting and munching on nuts till almost 6 in the morning. I concussed after that. It makes me wonder if I'll ever go out to a club/pub again. I mean, it's way cheaper to drink at home. And if it sounds sad, that's only because there's the implication that drinking at home means drinking alone. If you think about it though, it would work as a couple thing, it would work as a girls' night thing, it would work as a bunch of friends hanging out thing. I'm a little more certain after that night that it would take A LOT for me to be convinced to go out and drink at a bar / club.

This weekend I also ventured out to Tampines Mall. I had time on Sunday afternoon so me and the sister headed out to run an errand at Singtel. It was crowded. We queued for no less than 30 mins to get the Q number. Then waited another hour and a bit before we were summoned to the counter. While waiting I saw the new Sony Ericsson Satio. Lovely. Oh so lovely. And expensive.

And since I'm not made of gold, I think perhaps I'll just settle for a HTC Hero. It's supposed to be the closest thing to an iPhone on the market presently. And since I'm enjoying the games on MySO's new iPhone, maybe I'll get it. (Fingers are crossed that I'll be able to play similar games on the Hero).  He's also offered to trade in the phone he was using previously so that I can get this one FOC. Ah, my Hero *smile*. It's good being a girl.

I had a productive weekend. Saw things. Did things. Worked out another small percentage point's worth of my life's problems. That's all I can ask for in one weekend right?


No comments:

Post a Comment