Thursday, February 4, 2010

Currently watching - The Big Bang Theory

Recently I had the privilege of acquiring the first 2 seasons of The Big Bang Theory. Don't ask me how. I could tell you , but then I'd have to shoot you. (Or you'd have to buy my silence by becoming entrenched in the secret world of sacred boxes that I live in - and once you're in, there's no getting out... wait, did that sound like an Eagles hit or is it just me?)

And it has been brought to my attention that while the show's hilarious (I was actually LOL-ing), is it politically (read: socially) correct to be laughing at the antics of the stereotyped Geek?


I know *I* don't laugh at how socially awkward they are, rather it's the way they (in particular, Sheldon) deliver their lines with such serious expressions that really gets me. I think they're extremely good actors. (The 2 main boys in particular.)

But I suppose that some might watch and laugh at the ridiculousness of their behaviour, their "geekiness" as it were. Not a nice thought. Not at all.

Well, I'm as much a geek about some things as the next guy, so have a heart the next time you wanna laugh at someone ok? Look inside and find the geek in you. It's liberating to have a label that you can attach to that bit of you that remembers the year any pop song made it to number one on the charts, or your ability to discuss at length any number of F1 drivers' careers... or even the part of you that can successfully Origami 76 different animals.

Go Geek!

No comments:

Post a Comment