Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hello, Write Properly, Can?

Short Sorries... I mean, Stories.

1. I was looking at indie blogshops selling used clothing (ok, some of the stuff is purported to be brand new, with tags intact, even) and the one thing that struck me is how many Singaporeans mix-up reasonably common words. The 2 most common mistakes are using BROUGHT instead of BOUGHT and INTERLINING instead of INNER-LINING. I mean, the last time I heard the word "interline" there were aeroplanes involved. There is a fashion-industry use of the word Interlining - it refers to the sandwiched piece of cloth BETWEEN the main garment and its lining, or any fabric commonly used for such a purpose. I'm sure that's NOT what these web-sellers are referring to. 

2. Earlier on today I had a conversation online with a bloke. He made a joke that was totally not funny. It was more of a one-liner, really. Which didn't make any sense at all. In addition, it was about something I said in reference to something my best friend gave me.  When I totally didn't react in the manner which he was expecting his reply was "Just Kidding".  A) You're not my friend and I don't know you. We've never met in person and I'm only chatting with you online to be polite because you enquired about something I posted up. B) You don't know my friend and you have no idea what it is we're talking about because the reference was for HER not YOU. C) Do you even know the meaning of "Just Kidding"? 

3. While many have adopted the practice of typing words using as few letters as possible in an SMS (aka Text message) I'd like to point out that when you're writing a story for people to read on your blog, it is NT ok 2 type lyk dis bcos d eye doesn't automatically pik up d meang of d word if it's nt spelt out prop. The result is that it takes a person twice as long to decipher the meaning of your discourse. Well, alright, maybe not twice as long, but definitely longer than normal. And isn't it more natural for your fingers to type the actual word out on a computer keyboard anyway? If you've used the computer for any amount of time and type regularly enough muscle memory takes over no? (and now tell me, did you slow down while reading that funny line up there? Cos I did when I read through this paragraph - and I WROTE it!)

4. Back to fashion blogs. Just one more thing to add. When you don't know the correct word, or if there's a chance you might be using the wrong one, just swap it out for a simpler version. Eg. The description for a Black and Cream Polka Dot Dress >> Goes from the office to the restaurant - all you need is a simple bracelet and necklace to compliment the outfit. In my head I have a comic strip going: Dear outfit - You're looking nice today... Why, thanks for the compliment. Seriously. *Rolls eyeballs*

So u noe, I saw dis dress tt wil really compliment d shoes I brought in M'sia bt den dere was no interlining! How? no lah.. Just Kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment