Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Bait & Wait

I've just been sitting on my butt for the last 2 hours in my room watching He's Just Not That Into You.

And you know, the main thing I got out of it is that I've been a stupid cow the last 30 years of my life. With every relationship I can look back now and pinpoint the exact moment when it all fell apart. The moment when I should have walked away. But didn't. I'm just pissed that I wasted so much time - not only on the ones who never quite made it to relationship status, but even on the ones who did.

So the deal is this - since so many people out there wonder why women keep hanging on and hoping and waiting for the guy to call / ask her out / propose, I have decided to consciously remember that if he ain't calling, then he ain't interested.

Having said that.. over the last month I've had 5 almost-offers to go out. I say "almost" because they've all expressed some sort of interest in meeting up / having coffee / buying me dinner, but only 1 has ACTUALLY asked if I was available over the weekend. Unfortunately I wasn't so the date didn't happen but that's not the point of this story.

The point is, why would you say "we should have dinner sometime" or "I'd like to take you out" or "let's meet for coffee when your schedule lightens up"  and then NOT set a date or ask a girl out?

My theory is that guys just don't realise that's what they've gotta do. And asking her out means you set a day and time - not call up NOW and say "hey, you free for brunch?" cos chances are she won't be. Cos she has a life right? And she would have already made other plans. And if she hasn't, it's likely she's got stuff to do or errands to run or simply doesn't feel like company.

So here are lines I'm getting from the Bait & Waiters of the moment:

"I was going to ask if you wanted to go out but I thought you'd be busy"    
So you're a psychic now are you?

"Oh do you often have friends over for drinks? So when am I going to get an invitation?"
We've never met. Ever. Why would I ask you to my home?

"I'd love to continue this conversation over dinner sometime"  but hasn't been able to actually project a date in the future for this to happen. He HAS however rung me up and asked if I wanted to have brunch like NOW at least 3 times. Sorry. I don't do beck and call anymore.

"We should definitely have coffee. I'd love to hear from you when you're free to meet." 
Am I expected to email you a timetable? You've fished around to scope out my willingness to meet up and I've said, sure I'd like that. It's your turn buddy. It's not like you don't have my number.

So if anyone knows a decent bloke who isn't likely to piss me off, and whom you think might appreciate my personality and all-round (pun definitely intended!) good looks, throw him my way will ya? And yes, he has to call me. Cos I ain't doin' no mo' callin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment