Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Moose? Meese? Mooses?


From Wikipedia:



The moose (North America) or European elk (Europe) (Alces alces) is the largest extantspecies in the deer family. Moose are distinguished by the palmate antlers of the males; other members of the family have antlers with a "twig-like" configuration. Moose typically inhabit boreal and mixed deciduous forests of the Northern Hemisphere in temperate tosubarctic climates.


I wish I knew what all those words meant without having to look them up - in my quest to be clever I did :)



palmate - of a leaf shape; having leaflets or lobes radiating from a common point


boreal - toward or located in the north


decideous - (of plants and shrubs) shedding foliage at the end of the growing season


subarctic - of or relating to latitudes just south of the Arctic Circle (I wanted the official definition)

And I'm slightly happier (and smarter) now... 


Oh, and the plural of MOOSE is MOOSE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment