Friday, June 13, 2014

Everything Has a Price

That's what I used to believe. That everyone has a price, and everything could be bought for the right amount - however big a sum that might amount to. 

But I was wrong. And I'm glad I was wrong. 

Today someone offered me a full-time job. He hadn't said how much he'd be willing to pay me to give up my piano teaching and part-time writing, it was just a simple question. "Would you be willing to take on a full-time position?"

For half a second my mind hollered "YES if you pay me triple my current salary!"

This was immediately followed (pity it wasn't in slow motion!) by a montage of the past week's activities including taking mum to visit her old friends from Cold Storage days, accompanying her to Ikea to buy candles where we ended up sitting for more than an hour just chatting away over tea and siew mai, and telling dad about the stories I was reading on FB while we sat for over an hour in the waiting room of Clinic Q at CGH. 

Just one week. And the week isn't even over. That's all the stuff I've done with them this week. Stuff that I do because I CAN. 

And NO amount of money can convince me to give that up. 

So I said no to the guy offering me the job. There was nothing more to ask. I would never give up what I'm doing now for anything in the world, because the time I spend with them is way too precious to put a price tag on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment