Monday, June 30, 2014

Doing Like Nike Says

Everyone has a mantra. Mine is a Nike tagline. It might be a telling sign of my age that the company's 1988 slogan, 'Just Do It', is one I apply in my own life. I am not ashamed to say that it is just as meaningful to me now as it was more than two decades ago.

Recently I got to thinking about a new business idea. I admit, it was a stolen idea. While discussing possible new ventures with people over a cup (or 7!) of tea, it occurred to me that some parts of the plan could be taken and modified to suit a very viable almost-similar enterprise, while steering clear of any conflict of interest. 

So I got on it. Research is currently underway; excursions to suppliers have been planned; market surveys are being done- albeit in an extremely casual manner; necessary people have been given a heads-up and asked if they are able to provide services I'll need.  

Am I certain it'll be a success? Not at all. But that's ok. "If you don't try, you've already failed. But if you do, there's a chance you'll succeed." Good advice that was given by a BFF also more than two decades ago. 

And that folks, is how every business in existence today got started. Someone just went ahead and DID IT!

I'm not sure this new baby will even make it from planning to execution, let alone become a success. But I'm sure sitting on my behind and wondering and thinking and twiddling my thumbs aren't going to help it take off either.

What is it? That's not relevant to the story. What *is* is that it's something I feel strongly about. Something I have a passion and drive for. Something I am committed to making work because I believe in it. 

And that's half the battle won. Success comes from achieving what you desire. The hard part is figuring out what that desire is. But once you do, Just Do It!

Hey, that slogan must be something special if it's enshrined in the Smithsonian Institution, right?

What's YOUR passion?


© 2014 Nike, Inc. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment