Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Feeling my Age

Ok, so perhaps it's time to start popping the Glucosamine, order the Stemtech, and have a supply of Artrex on hand.

Ever since the gahmen decided that I should be the recipient of a highly subsidised upgrading project, I've been having knee pains. In no small part due to the climbing and squatting and kneeling associated with cleaning a house.

This seems to have gotten slightly better in that some days I wake up with almost no pain at all. Careful balancing of weight and keeping a good posture in mind seems to help.

But because my body INSISTS on letting me know that I'm not a spring chicken anymore, it has decided that since I've sussed out the knee problem, I should have a new one.

As I straightened up after leaning forward to type something on the laptop last night, my back began to protest. Uh-oh! I suspect it's a herniated disc. So it looks like I'ma gonna have to go see my doctor soon. In the meantime, I'm going to be lying down as much as I can to give it a chance to heal.

The family has been discussing the possibility of getting some live-in help to see to mum and dad and assist them in getting around etc. and right now this option is looking better and better.

*Ouch*

4 comments:

  1. So sorry I know how bad knee pain is. And if your back is hurting it is all somehow related see a Doc as soon as possible.
    Hope you are feeling better soon and this is all temporary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C

      haha isn't that the name of a vit C supplement? ok, sorry.

      But, yeah, i don't check my comments here all that often. awful person that I am.

      anyway, it did go away in a few weeks and i was all better.

      Trying to walk a little more so that I can keep the core muscles fit.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure Glucosamine works. There is a huge debate about that. In any case, I had to deal with knee pain for more than 10 years. I had physio. I saw an orthopedic surgeon. I consume Glucosamine. And avoided jogging.

    The funny thing is jogging was the thing that "cured" the knee. After laying off it for years, I decided to change my running gait and do a slow jog every once in a while. Fast forward 3 years to today: I hit my jogging route every morning. How did it happen? My physio told me I had to build the muscles around the knee to ease the pain. I tried after doing some research and my knee is pain-free 95% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it's supposed to be better for prevention than cure. and since i have it cheap i'll just take it. can't hurt in any case.

      and yes, the muscles around the knee need to be strengthened. that's the way to combat knee pain. i walk regularly now.

      Delete