Monday, January 4, 2010

The first post of 2010

New Year's Eve didn't start out too pleasantly. But it ended nicely enough. For this I have DJ to thank.

After rescuing me and regaling me with stories and anecdotes, I was feeling much better. We sat around and drank and after a while I felt like myself again.

So I began the year with a good sweep and mop of the floor (3am). I needed to do something to keep me occupied - something comforting. Those of you who know me well enough will be nodding (or rolling your eyeballs) at my obsessive need to clean.

I went to bed happy in anticipation of a dinner party on Friday night.

The first one of the year. It was good, I thought. I'm sure mum didn't think it was all that fantastic, but I'm told (this was relayed to me later on) that dad was proud enough of me. Aside from the fact that I bake a pretty decent kueh lapis, I think I don't really suck too badly at cooking either. It's easy enough stir-frying veggies or making soup. Ah, but wait till there are rempahs and lemaks involved. If I could, I'd just buy a packet of pre-mixed something or other and add meat, simmer and serve.

But this time round, I thought I'd be true to my heritage and actually cook up everything from scratch. Besides, it's not like there's rempah tee-teck in a packet.

On the menu - Sambal Buah Keluak, Lemak Jantan, Ketola Soup and Babi Tempera. I threw in some stir-fry veg + mushrooms at the last minute.

The verdict - nods all round. Except from mum. She needed to comment on this and that - she wouldn't be herself if she didn't, but I know I got her approval. No, she won't come right out and say it was tasty or good or anything like that, but you've got to know my mother in order to decipher her mum-speak. When asked if she had anything to say about my lemak jantan, her reply was "Better don't say, or else next time I wont get an invitation to come for dinner."

That means - it's fine, not exactly the same as hers, but good enough.

And that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment